Saturday 6 December 2014

Butternut Squash Cake || My favourite recipes || Foodie Friday

My Favourite Delicious Butternut Squash Cake Bread Recipe Best Festive Baking

As the weather gets cooler, I am always looking for reasons to use my oven. Warmth AND good food? Yes please.

As a child and up until recently I HATED pumpkins, it was one of those foods that no matter how much my parents tried, I just couldn't stomach it. All until I started baking with them.

After a quick internet search I came across a recipe on "My baking addiction" and Oh. My. Gourd (ha ha) it turned out to be amazing!



I was inspired by the "My baking addiction" recipe. Here is my version:

Butternut Squash Purée Recipe

Ingredients:

1 medium butternut squash
2 tablespoons Dairy Free Margarine*
2 tablespoons brown sugar
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Slice your butter-nut squash in half lengthwise. Try make these sides even and level as possible. Remove and discard the seeds. Place the halves flesh-side-up on a baking or roasting tray.
3. Spread margarine on the flesh of both butternut halves, and sprinkle over the sugar and spices.
4. Roast for 40-55 minutes or until the squash is soft (the time will depend on the size of your butternut squash).
5. Remove the butternut squash from the oven; and allow to cool for 10 minutes (or until cool enough to handle). A liquid mixture of the sugar and spice paste will form in the wells of the squash, make sure to include this with the purée, as it will add extra flavour.
6. Scoop out the soft flesh and liquid (leaving the outer skin) and place into your food processor or blender.
7. Blend mixture until you reach a creamy consistency.

You will require 1 cup of this mixture for the following cake recipe, any leftover purée you have will make an excellent side spread when the cake is served. 

* Margarine can be substituted for butter if desired.
baking butternut squash sugar butter puree
baking butternut squash sugar butter puree
baking butternut squash sugar butter puree
 Go blender! Go!

Then using my freshly made butternut squash and brown sugar purée I made my version of My Baking Addictions "Butternnut squash bread" recipe.

Butternut Squash Cake Recipe


Ingredients:

1 cup butternut squash purée
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground all spice
1/2 cup of dark chocolate (roughly chopped and dairy free)
1/2 cup mixed raisins and sultanas

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees °C. Grease and flour a 8.5 x 4.5 x 2.5 inch loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the butternut squash purée, eggs, oil, water and sugars until thoroughly combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice.
3. Add the dry ingredients into the butternut squash mixture. Stir until just combined; do not over mix. Pour into the prepared pan.
4. Bake at 180 degrees °C for 55-65 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
 


I didn't have a loaf pan big enough to fit all the mixture. So I put the extra mixture into a muffin tray and baked for 15 minutes (or until the skewer came out clean)
Excuse the mess, this is real life yo.
This recipe produced my best "Butternut Squash Cake" ever. A yummy treat for yourself and friends as the weather cools down, and the festive season draws near.

After the cake had cooled, I iced it with Chocolate Fudge icing, but a dusting of icing sugar would work a treat too.
My Favourite Delicious Butternut Squash Cake Bread Recipe Best Festive Baking
 and here's the close up for extra mouth watering-ness.
My Favourite Delicious Butternut Squash Cake Bread Recipe Best Festive Baking

The best part yet, I used some leftover purée as a spread, and it made the whole experience better. Amaze! 

My Favourite Delicious Butternut Squash Cake Bread Recipe Best Festive Baking with butter nut puree spread

My Favourite Delicious Butternut Squash Cake Bread Recipe Best Festive Baking with chocolate icing




1 comment:

  1. Wow, this looks absolutely delicious! I want a piece, please :D Oh and you had left a comment on my blog about a ChiChi's dress and I answered you via email, so I hope you got the answer. Sorry I'm a bit late with it though :/
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment...